Missional Training # 9 – A Coca Cola Community
Sometimes a commercial, song, or film can really capture a great idea. Check out this Coke add below.
- What kind of community or gathering does the video depict? Is it small or large? Is it inclusive or exclusive?
- How does the community from the commercial reflect the yearning of the human heart? How close is it to the community of the church?
- How effective would the Christian message be if Christians blessed their neighbors and acquaintances with such a community?
- How often do you gather with the people who you know? Have you held a “Bridging Event,” a community building party for the express purpose of getting to know the friends and acquaintances of your friends?
How can you create this community?
- Consider throwing a party, only don’t invite your closest friends. Instead, invite mainly acquaintances and people you barely know. Maybe ask them to bring someone else. Focus on getting to know everyone better and connecting people together
- Consider working with a few friends or neighbors to throw a party. Have each person invite people they know well and not so well. Ask those people to invite a friend as well. Again, focus on getting to know people and connecting others.
In either case, You’ll be bringing the better wine. You’ll be blessing those around you. This might establish or strengthen relationships. It might prepare the way for later chances to share the gospel.
For my Core Group, for next time read the Gospel-Centred Life Chapter 9, Decisions.