Missional Training #10 – Preparing to Lead the Story Formed Way
Posted by Ted Torreson
Story has a way of engaging us and getting past the intellect by speaking the the heart. We’re all story formed. The music, movies, tv shows, and books we like shape and form our beleifs. Story Sticks. A good story will be remembered far longer than any sermon, speech, or discussion.
At our church plant, The Story Formed Way, from Caesar Kalinowski and Mike Novelli will be our main discipleship tool to teach the biblical story and theology. I’ve brought my core group through the first few lessons. Currently, we have a few members who are reading the Story and leading the dialogue for the first time. The questions below are meant to help my core group process the video, however, anyone is welcome to leave a comment below.
Check out this video from Echo The Story:
- What are some helpful things he said that could encourage interaction of even unchurched people in the Story?
- I’ve known some people who think they’ve heard or read bible stories before so they have nothing left to learn. Is this true? Have you ever read an old familiar story in scripture and have it speak to you as if you heard if for the first time? What made it fresh for you?
- What does it mean that God’s word is living and active? Can God speak to and through all of us?
- What is imaginative listening? How do you think this could give you a fresh hearing of God’s word?
Caesar Kalinowski suggests beginning each week by reminding people that their input is important to the dialogue after the reading of the Story. He reminds them that the dialogue is like a potluck or buffett. A buffett with only a few options isn’t much of a buffett. What make a meal like this is the rich variety of foods. Likewise, the dialogue with the story is the same. It’s not great if only one or two people are talking. What makes it is the full rich variety of voices and opinions. Every person adds a unique flavor when they give their perspectives and thoughts on the story.
The above video above is one of many videos that come with Mike Novelli’s book Shaped By The Story.
For my Core Group, Please read The Gospel-Centred Life, Chapter 10, “Relationships.”
- You can download The 10 week Story Formed Way for free from.
- The Story of God is an expanded narrative set of 22 stories which can also be downloaded free.
- The Story of God Training is a great resource that Caesar teaches at Soma and at Soma School.
Also Check out Missional Training #6 – The Need For Story
About Ted TorresonI'm a Husband, Father, Pastor & Church planter
Posted on January 4, 2012, in Missional Training, Story Telling and tagged caesar kalinowski, discipleship tool, group process, Mike Novelli, Story of God, story telling, Storying, Teaching the Faith, www youtube. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.