9 Ways To Be Missional This Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is two days away. How are you going to use this day to show the love of God. Below are 9 ways to be missional this Thanksgiving:
- Thanksgiving is a day of abundance. We celebrate God’s provision for all we need for our body and life. We celebrate this with the greatest amount of food and we celebrate with family. Yet not everyone has family they can celebrate with. Is there a neighbor or coworker that doesn’t have anywhere to go this year? Jesus loved the unloved and the unlovable. Practice Christian hospitality and invite them over.
- Make Thanksgiving a time of remembering the love of God. Tell each person at the Table why you thank God that He has placed them in your life.
- Rather than give a quick prayer before the meal, ask people what they are thankful for this year and encorporate what they say into your prayer.
- Focus on the things that matter. Thanksgiving can sometime become a time when you have to sit and talk to that relative with allegiances to different political parties or a different football team. Don’t use this as an opportunity to start a fight. Rather, make every conversation an opportunity to show God’s love.
- Don’t try to be a perfect host. Remember, God is Gracious so you don’t have to prove yourself and God is Glorious so you don’t have to fear what others think. Be yourself, love others, and let God control the way other’s look at you.
- One of the best times to grow relationships is around a dinner table, and we spend a long time around the table on Thanksgiving. Make the most of your time with others. Get to know them better. Ask them about their jobs, their past, their kids, their hopes so you’ll get to know where the Gospel can speak into their lives.
- Get to know the Kids around the table as well. They can often be overlooked or excluded in conversation. Love on them and let them know your house is good place to be at.
- Not everyone likes sports, but if you have some people who want to watch the football game, turn it on. Sit down and enjoy their company and get to know them better.
- In my house, we end up always cooking way too much and have more leftovers than what we’ll want to eat for the rest of the week. Make sure you send some food home with your guests. Do you have any neighbors who don’t cook? Send them over a plate if they didn’t join you for thanksgiving.
You might also like:
Picture found here