Monthly Archives: February 2015
Jesus is a servant. The way that he serves shows his love for us. Jesus said his very mission was to serve us and demonstrate God’s love by saying:
“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Jesus is the good king who came to serve, who showed his love by serving us to the point of death on a cross (phil 2:6-11). It’s through Jesus service that the lie of Satan (the lie that said God doesn’t love us) is dispelled when we see that God loves us and will do anything to provide for us the very best of life and life to the full in his kingdom.
If Jesus is the Good King who came to serve, and if you are baptized into his name, you are his servants sent into the world to display the truth of God’s love through your actions–to show the world that God loves them through YOUR actions. So how can you sere in the snow storm?
- Check up on the elderly and the infirm. See if they need anything and then provide what they need. Offer to drive to get their groceries or medicine if needed. The roads might be driveable but many won’t want to take a chance or might be to unstable to walk in the snow or ice.
- Shovel, snow blow, or plow your neighbor’s walk or drive way…even if they could do it themselves.
- Make a large pot of soup and bring some containers for the neighbors around you.
- Share some of the milk, eggs, and bread you started hoarding the moment you heard we were going to get snow. (Sorry, couldn’t resist).
- If you’ve got a good vehicle and confidence in your driving, offer to pick up a coworker or take them home if the roads are bad.
Finally, Ask the Spirit who you can serve and what you can do for them. Use this as an opportunity to build relationships with neighbors you haven’t seen all winter or haven’t met yet.
Picture found here