The Scriptures are often full of calls to humble oneself, take up your cross, deny yourself, decrease in importance so Christ can increase, to lose your life in order to find it in Christ, to become less of a focus so more of Christ can be seen through you. We often don’t find fulfillment in Christ or success in mission because we desperately are afraid of dying. Watch this short video from Jeff Vandertelt:
We’ve got nothing to really lose, and, surprisingly, nothing to gain either, in living life on mission. We have everything already! In Jesus we already have the eternal love, favor, and kingdom of our Heavenly Father! We have his unconditional acceptance no matter how we perform, no matter what we accomplish, no matter how we fail. The only thing we DO have to gain in dying to ourselves and living for God’s purposes is the precious life of someone lost who can be found through YOU. And what’s funny, is when we lay down our lives, desires, and preferences for the good of God’s kingdom and the benefit of others, we actually find life that if abundant, full, and meaningful! Our doubts, anxieties, and problems fade away because our eyes are off ourselves and are placed where they were created to be, on our Savior and on others. We’re then filled with the greatest joy of being on the grandest adventure of all as we join in Christ’s mission.
- If what Jeff says in this video is true, how should it change your life, your ministry, your priorities?
- What do you need to die to in order to live for God’s glory and the salvation of others?
- How is Jesus the answer to all the fears in your heart on this issue? How is he greater than the things you will give up?
Purchase the full talk from the Verge Network here for $2.99.
Watch this challenging short video from Paul Tripp about shaping your children into disciples by leading them into thinking through their lives as Mission.
In many ways, Paul Tripp is simply telling us to talk about the faith and its implications with our children. Yet its also a reminder that everything that God has gifted us with is an opportunity to witness to Christ’s love. It is a truth we need to learn and live out so that we can teach it to our children and show them how to live for God’s glory.
- What do you do to disciple your children?
- What can you change to take the first, or next step, to help shape you child in the ways of Jesus?
- Who else, besides you, needs to hear this message? How can you share it with them and help each other become more effective at influencing your children for Christ?
- Make a list of what you own. Make a separate list of what your children have. Have a discussion with your spouse and children on how you can use those things for God’s kingdom.
- Make a list of the people you know Make a list of the people your children know. Put a cross next to each person you know are Christian. Begin to pray, with your kids, each night for all the people who you know are not Christians. Then discuss how you can show and share the faith with them.
Watch some more great videos from the Verge Network