I love sharing God’s word through preaching. Since I’m moving to preaching every week, as we launch The Exchange Community in Jackson, Mo, I thought It would be good to reexamine my preaching and how I interpret and display God’s word. I remembered a friend of mine shared, a number of years back, that Tim Killer and Edmond Clowney team taught a class at Reformed Theological Seminary on Preaching Christ in a Post-Modern World. As I started to listen through these teachings, I desired to share them with other church planters, preachers, and pastors that may not be aware of their existence. Even if you don’t fit in these categories, this is an excellent resource to understand and share scripture.
Course Material in PDF These notes were extremely difficult to find. I believe they are notes from this course as it was later modified. They do not seem to match all of the titles found on iTunes, but do seem to follow what is referenced in the class.
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Introduction to the Christ Centred Model of Preaching
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ through the Structure of Redemptive History Part One
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ in through the Structure of Redemptive History Part Two
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Applying Christ: Introduction to Christ-centred Application
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Applying Christ: Getting to Christ
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ in through the Structure of Redemptive History Part Three
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ: Telling God’s Story, Narrative Analysis
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Applying Christ: Getting Down to Earth Part One
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Applying Christ: Getting Down to Earth Part Two
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ: The Parable of the Prodigal Son
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ: Christ and the Law
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Applying Christ: Getting inside their world part one
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Adoring Christ: Getting Inside their World Part Two
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ in the Psalms
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ in the Wisdom Literature
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Adoring Christ: Spiritual Reality
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ:Asking Questions, Discourse Analysis
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Adoring Christ: Communion with God
Picture found here
I’ve learned a whole heck of a lot from Soma Communities, on Church Planting, Sharing the Gospel, and missional communities that we are implementing in the creation of The Exchange Community in Jackson, Mo. Recently Soma did a fast track training for their missional community leaders. This is some great material to go through if you’re leading a missional community or are interested in starting a missional community
Here’s the links to Soma’s Fast Track Training Audio/Video and their notes:
1. The Story of God // Caesar Kalinowski
2. Vision for Missional Communities // Jeff Vanderstelt
3. Gospel, Power & Purpose // Jeff Vanderstelt
4. Gospel DNA // Jeff Vanderstelt & Abe Meysenburg
5. Gospel in Everyday Rhythms // Jeff Vanderstelt
6. Gospel Fluency // Jeff Vanderstelt
7. Creating a Disciple-Making Enviroment // Jeff Vanderstelt
8. Gospel Shepherding // Abe Meysenburg
9. Missional Community Covenant // Jeff Vanderstelt
10. Spirit Led Life // Jeff Vanderstelt
11. Spiritual Warfare // Jeff Vanderstelt
Here’s a link to all of their materials
Picture found here along with the post: Ten Reasons Missional Communities Fail
Our new church, The Exchange Community, has been meeting monthly through the summer. We’ve had three worship gatherings. We’ve had many people, who haven’t been to church in a long time, come and check us out. We are now taking that next step of faith by starting a weekly worship gathering on September 8th at the Creative Edge.
Through the summer we talked about the three values of a GCM Collective church:
What is The Gospel?
The Mission of God.
Unfortunately, we had audio problems and so we don’t have a video for our messages on the Gospel and Mission.
We will talk on September 8th on Why a New Church? We will talk about why in, of all places, South East Missouri, do we need a new church? You’ll get an understanding of the come-as-you are culture that we’re trying to create. You’ll see what makes this new church community distinct amongst the other churches in our communities. You’ll also see why this new type of church is needed.
Please pray for us as we start this new church to reach many more people with the love and message of Jesus Christ.
Check out and like our Facebook page.
Check out other posts about The Exchange Community:
- New Church: The Exchange Community (Explains our name)
- What is a Missional Community and Why Should I Join One?
- How Should We Dress When We Go To The Exchange?
- Should I Bring My Kids To The Exchange Community?
We’ve been gathering in our Missional Communities for over a year now. God’s been doing some great things through those MCs. We believe faith grows in motion and that the Christian life is best lived out together in Gospel Communities on Mission. Yet we feel like we’re ready to take that next step in planting a church. Starting this Sunday, June 23, we’re going to have our first corporate worship gathering.
What’s Behind the Name?
We chose the name, The Exchange Community, because it is central to the message of Jesus. The Apostle Paul says,
“God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” ~2 Cor 5:21
In other words, Jesus traded places with us. The sinless son of God, the prince of the universe, gave up everything he had. He became one of us. He experienced our hardships, guilt and pain when he hung on a cross to die for our sins. He stood in the place of Judgment to pay for all our mistakes. We then, through faith in Jesus, step into his place. Everything that belongs to the Son of God becomes ours! Even though we lived messed up lives and daily make mistakes and do the wrong thing, Jesus paid for it all. Now when God looks at us he sees his Son, whom he loves. He sees someone who is accepted, approved of, and loved just as much as if we were Jesus himself.
Now then, we then strive to also make an exchange in our lives. Since he has shown us such great love, we want to love in return. We want to be a community who follows in Jesus’ ways and who loves as he loves as we exchange our dreams for the God’s dream to see all people become his children once more.
Location and Time
We are starting out having Monthly Gatherings throughout the Summer. We are meeting at the Creative Edge at 9 a.m. on the following dates:
- July 28th
- August 25th
We hope to start a weekly service after Labor Day.
Don’t depend our you GPS or your Phone to find your way to the Creative Edge. Their Address is not recognized by Google maps or any GPS I’ve found. You can follow this link to a map for the Creative Edge, even though they have the address wrong. Because of this I also created the map on the right you can follow. Enterprise is about a half mile south of Exit 105 on Interstate 55.
We have invited a number of unchurch or dechurched people to attend our worship services. Some of them have been involved in our Missional Communities. Others have not. Please pray that all who have been invited come and that they experience the love and presence of Jesus.
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/theExchangeCommunity